Butson Family Newsletter|
Family History; Family Tree; Genealogy
Bookmark this page as http://members.aol.com/butsons
Last updated: February 23, 1998
Special Short Term Item
I am selling my excellent collection of
Illinois History books and periodicals. Click here for details.
From 1979 to 1987, I published 10 issues of the Butson Family
Newsletter. Though a number of contributions to the newsletters came in, the
cost of printing and mailing it finally became too great, and I was US$500 in
debt. So I had to give it up. I have received a number of inquiries about the
newsletter over the years, and so I am making the 10 issues available on the
This site is definitely under construction and will progress
slowly. I am afraid it is a distant second priority behind the Dad's War historical work I am doing
-- as well as other realities of life that significantly limit me. So I will be
slowly scanning in the back issues and posting them here. Some day, I want to do
an index of all the names and locations in these issues, since they cover
Butsons and their descendants over several centuries and all around the world.
So what is here so far is what is here so far. It will all be
here some day. I have kept the original text but modified the format, better to
fit the web. I have included only the articles with genealogical and historical
content. Thus articles on subscription policy and distribution of the newsletter
and donations are omitted.
Here are the links and the stubs to the 10 issues. The featured countries are
shown for each issue. However, every issue has at least something from most of
the major Butson countries.
- Number 1 - Fall 1979: Canada and England
- Number 2 - Spring 1980: Canada
- Number 3 - Spring 1981: English Records; Butson
Emigrants to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand
- Number 4 - Fall 1981: Australia and New Zealand;
Distribution of Butsons in Great Britain
- Number 5 - Fall 1982: Australia, New Zealand,
Canada, England, USA
- Spring 1983: Australia, New Zealand, Canada, England, USA
- Fall 1983: South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, England, USA
- Spring 1984: Africa, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, England, USA
- Fall 1984: Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Great Britain, Ireland,
- Spring 1987: Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, England, USA, KEAM
HEIR WANTED I
do not foresee putting together any more issues of the Butson Family Newsletter.
I am looking for someone to take over the work. I have about 5 boxes of
correspondence, photos and charts that people sent over the years. I can pass
these on to someone who is willing to carry on the work of the newsletter for a
long period. I can help you start out the next issue and consult on future
issues, if you wish. The work involves sustaining and retaining a wide
correspondence, keeping your files (forever) organized, as well as putting the
newsletter itself together. I recommend making it a web-based newsletter, rather
than a hardcopy publication, to keep down costs.
Please note the following regarding e-mail.
- This really is a low priority for me right now. So I may take quite a
while to answer your e-mail. But someday, I will get around to it.
- I am NOT planning to publish another issue. If you are interested in
taking over the work of the newsletter, please click here and let me
- Please include "Butson" in the subject of your note, since I am
receiving e-mail on several different subjects, and this will help me to
sort things out.
- Once you have read all of the above, please send comments to WWJohnston@aol.com.